This is my attempt at a dress diary for the Elizabethan Period of 1560 - 1570
OK, I'm going to try and use this page to load pictures and link to them. We'll see if this works. AGGH much happyness....web page works
Next step is to finish the caul and hat...and did I mention hems.
finished caul (pats self on back twice) pix up
Got creative and decided that since the outer skirt and the bodice should match in fabric
I did something different with this one other than the black bodice.
More to come as I move along.
I had every intention of making a Tudor Square Neck Smock or Chemise. Instead this is what I made...can't figure out where I made that mistake. This Smock is made of a light weight linen. I added a little lace at the neck ruffle and the cuff ruffles.
I used the Simplicity Pattern 9256 from the Elizabethan Costume Collection which is no longer in print.
I cut out the size 20 for a 34" Bust measurement (go figure out that one). I had to reduce the size by at least 3" on each side. The sleeve pattern is very large sleeve head which goes straight to the cuff. When I gathered the fabric as tight as it would go, it was still to large to fit the cuff. So I cut out 7" per side of each sleeve. Even with that, this is a big sleeve! The cuff and cuff ruffle by comparison are very nice.
Completed this smock. Photos to follow
Here are photos of the chemise completed. I took these in the garage and the background was...well shall we say distracting. I'm not sure if this is better, but as you can see the sleeves are enormous even with the reductions I did. It is comfortable and fits fine. I may use it to the SCAs Newcomers Tourney in April.
3_21_07 Happy First Day of Spring.
TO DO LIST:
Don't know how much I can get done for 2006, but I'll have to add something to the outfit!
April 9th, 2006: I'm going to work on the shoulder treatment. I've made some shoulder rolls, but I'm not sure I want them. Perhaps the tabs with the trim on the skirt on them. Also I'm going to add a black trim along the bottom of the bodice and I may add the gold trim to these tabs as well.
June 1st, 2007: I added a row of trim along the bottom hem edge of the outer skirt.
Trying to see what combination will look best to add trim to the bodice. The shoulder rolls just don't look good. I'm going to see if I have enough trim to do shoulder tabs.
Here are a few options for placement of the trim. Not sure which one I like best. I need to keep some of the trim for the shoulder tabs I plan to add.
I sewed the trim along the bottom of the skirt. I think I'll put the rest of the trim along the bottom of the bodice (last photo). I'll see if I have enough trim for the shoulder tabs first. 6_03_07
Wore black bodice and green skirt to RenFair 10_04
Wore finished dress to RenFair 10_05
Wore to SCA Warlords July 07